The Royal Birkdale on the Lancashire coastline provides a unique and memorable atmosphere for spectators. Our top tips will help you to make the most of your time at the 2017 British Open.
Since its inception in 1860, the British Open has been played over some of the world’s most renowned links courses and has produced an incredible legacy of great champions. It is the oldest international championship in professional golf and the Claret Jug, first presented in 1873, is one of the most iconic trophies of all time.
In July 2017, the British Open returns to the Royal Birkdale. Located on the 4000-year-old Sefton dune system, the natural landscape provides a stunning playground for golf, while the Birkdale Hills offer panoramic views of the Lancashire coastline to the Irish Sea. Refined many times over the years, Royal Birkdale is one of the finest championship courses today.
Before You Go
Download the official British Open mobile app so that you do not miss a shot while you are on the go. Using the WiFi available at the course, you can access up-to-the-minute news, images and video. Plus, you can track your favourite players throughout the course.
With our 2017 British Open packages, you have direct access to the golfing action at the Royal Birkdale. Whether you have opted for 3-day or 5-day British Open tickets, you will enjoy general admission entry to the famous event, which boasts a huge selection of golf-related and leisure experiences to enjoy around the course.
The Spectator Village will feature several food and beverage stands, kids play area, and giant TV screens, so you do not miss any golfing moments. Expect to tuck into food that celebrates the “best of British,” such as fish and chips, gourmet burgers, wood-fired pizzas, sandwiches and sausage rolls.
Head to Glenmorangie House to discover the “creative spirit of The Open.” Learn about Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky from in-house experts and relax with a delicious whisky cocktail while catching up on the day’s action. If you are in the mood for bubbles, The Open Champagne Bar is a perfect place to celebrate with friends and family over a flute of fine champagne.
The British Open is a fantastic family-friendly event. Young fans can make cherished memories when they meet their heroes at the Autograph Zone, or undergo free golfing lessons by PGA Professionals at the HSBC Grassroots Skillzone.
No matter where you are on the course, electronic leaderboards will keep you in the loop at all times.
The large seaside town of Southport is one of the UK’s most popular summer resorts. Historically part of Lancashire, the town was founded in 1792 when William Sutton built a bathhouse at what is now the south end of Lord Street.
Southport became a favourite tourist haunt at the turn of the 19th century, with attractions such as the Southport Pier and its tramway, the second longest seaside pleasure pier in the British Isles and Lord Street, an elegant tree-lined shopping destination which was once the home of Napoleon III of France. Featuring quirky galleries, an old theatre, plus new attractions like The Atkinson, there is plenty to see and do for all ages in Southport.
If you have not booked your British Open tickets yet, don’t waste another moment. Our British Open packages can be tailored to include hand-picked city excursions and additional destinations.
- Did you know? Children can attend the British Open free of charge.
- Grandstand seating is available throughout the course including at the 18th green and Practice Ground, all free to spectators. You can also buy seats at the 18th green (purchase in advance).
- In addition to the main village, the course will feature a number of hot and cold food outlets as well as coffee and ice cream and refreshment bars.
- The British Open shop features a range of headwear and apparel, outerwear, children’s clothing, luggage, homeware, leather goods and golf accessories. You can even personalise select products on the day (caps, bag tags and luggage), plus there is a convenient UPS shipping service to send your souvenirs home.
- Abide by the mobile device and camera policy at all times by ensuring all your devices are on silent at all times, unless in designated mobile device zones. No audio, stills photography or video capture is permitted at any time.