Turkey is a country known for its historical places, food, culture, architecture… so many more wonders! Istanbul, in particular, is a place that has the world’s attention. It is a city that connects two continents and has a rich history. Among the many ways Istanbul leaves a mark in the books of history is the Atatürk Olympic Stadium.
Built-in 2002, it is not just an architectural masterpiece, it also has a rich history attached to it. The Atatürk Olympic Stadium has already hosted major events and will be the hosts of UEFA Champions League Final 2023. Let’s find out everything there is to know about this magnificent stadium.
- The construction of Atatürk Olympic Stadium began in 1999 and continued for 3 years until 2002. The stadium was built to host the 2002 FIFA World Cup and has been frequently used for various other events ever since.
- The stadium was designed by an architect group consisting of Bilgiç Proje, HPP International, and Arup and Partners International. Together they have created a unique, breath-taking masterpiece that has stood the test of time.
- The Atatürk Olympic Stadium has a seating capacity of 76,000 spectators, making it one of the largest stadiums not just in Turkey but across Europe! The seating area is arranged in a European-style bowl to provide a better view of the pitch.
- The stadium is named after Turkish founding father Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Atatürk was a military officer, revolutionary leader, and the first president of Turkey. He is known for his outstanding leadership, modernisation of Turkey, and his love for sports.
- UEFA Champions League Final 2023 will take place at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium. The final was initially scheduled to take place in 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Istanbul was then given the opportunity to host the final in 2021, but it was eventually moved to Porto, Portugal, due to COVID-19 travel restrictions that were imposed on Turkey.
Atatürk Olympic Stadium is an architectural wonder that represents the rich history of Turkey and its founder. Hosting a prestigious event such as the UEFA Champions League Final, which is one of the biggest football finals in the world, speaks volumes about the stadium’s quality. The Atatürk Olympic Stadium has been the setting for many memorable sporting events, and we look forward to seeing the stadium host another one in 2023.
Enquire now about tickets for the UEFA Champions League final.